Wednesday, October 15, 2008

SUPERSIZE YOURSELF

After watching the film, SUPERSIZE ME, my response was I really honestly do not feel more or less obligated to eat fast food. I knew that this was bad for me to begin with, but what I didn't know was how much this could affect me in a short amount of time. Definitley I feel like I should take my fast food eating down to a minimum. My parents have always told me this, but actually seeing exactly HOW MUCH sugar and fat I intake when I eat that kind of junk is just sickening. Now, the type of food they sell does not sicken me, but how much it can add up. Really though, I prefer Wendy's or Taco Bell, but McDonald's will do in a pinch.
The rest of the world on the other hand, some of them disagree what Morgan Spurlock did. There were NUMEROUS documentaries after his trying out similar diets like he did and investigating fast food. Specifically, there was a documentary about how a woman went on a 30 day Mickey D diet and lost 10 pounds and dropped her cholesterol. This being said, she only took in about 2,000 calories a day, while Morgan Spurlock took in about 5,000 calories a day, and didn't exercise. I have been told by my father numerous times that most of the time it isn't what you put inside you, it's how much you put inside you, or quantity effects you more than quality (weight wise, not health wise). Yes, I believe this to be true, you can eat only salads, but if you eat 5,000 calories of salad every day, you arn't helping yourself. This is one way to look at this.
What I also thought as crazy was several of McDonald's reactions. They took away the super size option at their restaurants, which I think should be a huge accomplishment for Morgan. They also created a new "healthy" breakfast sandwich called th McGriddle, but Morgan said that it had more sugar than the McDonald's cookies. I think that McDonalds knows that what they sell is unhealthy, and the admit that they do, but McDonalds does say that in isn't thier fault that people "overdose" on their food and become obese.
This brings up the question, "Where does personal responsibility begin and where does cooperate responsibility begin?" I think that this is an age old question that will probably be a problem from now until we can finally find a solution we can all agree on. To me, I think that the QUANTITIY of the food you stuff in your face is YOUR responsibility, but the QUALITY of the food you stuff in your face is up to the businesses.

No comments: