Thursday, November 20, 2008

BLACK HAWK DOWN REVIEW AT 1/3 OF THE WAY DONE

The book I am reading is Black Hawk Down. The book is a very good representation of modern warfare in the Middle East. So far I am on page 100 or so, but I am really into the book, so to speak. It is very believable, which I think is good for a book based on an actual event is important.
So far, there are not many casualties, but one or two characters that I thought were going to last a lot longer that he did. One guy even fell off the speed rope on a Black Hawk and fell 70 feet. I don’t know yet if he will survive, but he seems to be in pretty bad shape. The soldiers are in Somalia, and many of them are eager for a firefight because there hasn’t been one in a while. They seem to be killing evil Somalians, but some of the chapters are about young Somalians who are just firing at the Americans because they feel like they are intruding on their land without rhyme or reason. I don’t know whether to be on the American side or the Somali side.
I have gotten to the part where the Black Hawk chopper (super six one) got hit with an RPG and fell to the ground. When the army was discussing this, they were not expecting an RPG firing into the air, let alone a Black Hawk. This makes me feel as if the army didn’t really know whom they were dealing with, and these men probably crazy psychopaths who will do anything to keep them out. Is the US blindly going in and killing people who are innocent? They even mowed down a cow with a Black Hawk mini-gun in one of the chapters.
So the chopper is down, and the soldiers appear to be stuck in Somalia. There are other Black Hawks and other vehicles on the ground, but I don’t think that the soldiers will be rescued at all. Due to the fact that the enemy has RPG’s, the Black Hawks will probably want to get out of there as quickly as they can. The tanks, vehicles and such might be blown up, or just unusable. They have found that the supposed war commander they are searching for to be in or near their general area, and the book has used his point of view a few times. Missiles attacked him, but somehow he was able to survive the onslaught.
The book changes many different angles and views as it progresses. It changes from a soldiers view, to a pilots view, and even to an ordinary Somali man’s point of view. There are many soldiers that are introduced in the book, and it is kind of hard to keep track of them all. There are many parts of the book that explain the soldiers, or what they went through while they are in a firefight, something that I think would be lost in the movie if I saw it. It’s nice and juicy, and even though I’m only third of the way through, I highly recommend it.

No comments: